As we have been settling into our "new normal" with the kids and Jalaine all home all of the time. I mentioned to Jalaine how I wish I could take a solo trip into the desert, she told me I should go. I had all my school work done for the semester and Jalaine and the kids didn't need me I rigged the Land Cruiser to be able to sleep in it and loaded gear and Tuesday morning I was off. I had a rough itinerary of places I always wanted to go or see again. I was in no hurry I planned to be gone until Thursday or Friday. I wanted to be responsible with all that was going with the Corona Virus and stay at home policies. So, I packed all I needed and only got gas along the way. I used gloves and hand sanitizer when using a pump. I took HWY 10 out of Price and then I-70 to the Lone Tree Crossing. There was a very narrow bridge across the Muddy River. I was eating lunch just above the river when two road graders made their way to the bridge. This made for a smooth road. I worked my way to Capitol Reef exploring some side roads. I passed the Temple of the Sun and Moon and made my way to Hanksville. I camped at the overlook for Fiddler Cove and North Hatch Canyons. It was a little windy so I made just a big enough fire to cook my tinfoil dinner. In the morning I made my way to the Burr Trail via the Bullfrog Road. I stopped at the Halls Creek overlook, where I was treated to spectacular views of the Water Pocket Fold. I then headed up the scenic Burr Trail switchbacks and over the Upper Muley Twist 4wd Road. I hiked to the Strike Valley Overlook and then ate lunch in the shade of a Pinion Tree. It was nice to have the place all to myself. On the way out I passed two vehicles heading in. I then was off to find the Moodys. This was my main goal. I drove down the Wolverine Loop Road to the Moody Road it was for the most part a very good road. I tried to locate the trail head before realizing there is not one. I had wanted to hike down to the Escalante River but I looked at the map and decided it was more hiking then I was up for in my current shape. I decided to drive to a nearby road that was near Middle Moody. I passed a big Ford truck from Alaska slowly making its way down the trail. The guy looked like he was looking for a place to bury a body so I was glad when he turned around and went elsewhere. I found the end of the road and a great place to camp and a nice area to wander and checkout Middle Moody. It was quite windy as I wandered around and it meant another small fire to cook dinner. In the morning I drove over to see the Silver Falls trail headand then followed the rest of the Wolverine Loop back to the Burr Trail. I then headed to Escalante where I fueled up and headed out on the Smoky Mountain Road. I had been a little nervous about this road as there was no information about the middle section conditions. It turns out it was just as dusty and dry as everywhere else I had been roaming. It is a long road and I ran into only one other person. A young guy out of Colorado in a stock jeep who assured me I would be ok in the vehicle I was driving. Oh to be young and dumb again. I drove to the top of the Kelly Grade and decided to drive down take the Smoky Mountain Hollow Road back to the top of the Kelly Grade again. I camped at the top of the grade with great views. In the morning I drove down the grade and was going to take the Alstrom Point Trail, which has great views of Lake Powell. Some how I missed the road and was at Big Water. I tried to go to Lone Rock but it was closed. I decided to head for home with a quick hike at the Toadstools. This has been a very brief description of wonderful foray into the desert. The bed in the cruiser worked well and I was able to watch movies in the back.
![]() |
| Old Church in Emery |
![]() |
| The sign said "Narrow Bridge" they were not kidding |
![]() |
| Overlook of Fiddler Cove Canyon |
![]() |
| On the road to Bullfrog |
![]() |
| Burr Trail |
![]() |
| Water Pocket Fold Brimhall Bridge |
![]() |
| Strike Valley |
![]() |
| Middle Moody |
![]() |
| I love a rock with a perfect hole in it |
![]() |
| View from camp |
![]() |
| Home away from Home |
![]() |
| The Burr Trail not sure why it is two tone |
![]() |
| Smoky Mountain Road |
![]() |
| View from the Kelly Grade |
![]() |
| Close as I got to Lone Rock |
![]() |
| Toadstools |
























No comments:
Post a Comment